Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Three Bird Summer by Sara St. Antoine

Maybe I connected with this book because it reminded me so much of my grandmother and her summer house in northern Michigan...and of my family's cottage in Maine, where my mother has become The Grandmother. Three Bird Summer captures the magic of everything a house on a lake encompasses - the woods...the loons...the weather...and the friendships that are captured there...at the same time weaving a story that melds traditional adolescent angst with difficult family issues (divorced parents and what to do with an aging grandparent, for example). Woven into this is an emerging friendship between Adam and Alice (the girl next door) and their adventures as they work to solve the clues left by Adam's forgetful grandmother that lead them on a quest to find a hidden treasure, and into his grandmother's mysterious past.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It is not a swash-buckling adventure, but a lovely story with a "just right mood."  It is well paced, has an engaging plot, and is simply a comfortable read!

No comments:

Post a Comment